Monday, July 19, 2010

What would his message be?

You can catch most of this in the oft misquoted Sermon on the Mount in Matthew’s Gospel: 
"Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves.”  

Don’t be a bogus leader
There’s a church meeting in the Parish Hall to discuss the salaries of the church leaders.

The Bible School teacher stands up and says, “I have had another child since my last stipend review, my car is old, my eldest child is entering high school with more books and tuition fees and I need a new suit. Could I please have a $20 a month raise?”

The administrator submits, “I need new books for my library, my accountancy association fees have doubled, and I need to buy a new coat for winter. Could I please have a $10 a month raise?”

The children’s worker says much the same thing about the cost of living, the price of petrol and telephone calls and asks for a raise of $10 too. The same for the gardener.

Then the room darkens, a spotlight falls in a circle on the closed stage curtains and a head pops out. It’s the Senior Pastor. “Puh-raise Ju-yeezus folks!” he beams. “I want you to know I love my job. I love my new sports car in the parking lot, I love my new suit, I eat out 5 nights a week and I have breakfast with the visiting bands and performers that come through and I fly business class around the nation as I spread the good news. And I gotta tell ya (as he breaks into song) 'There’s no business like show business like no business I know... '”

**So...**

Only some pastors, priests and bishops are wolves in sheep’s clothing but it’s a condition not far from any of our doors. 

Just for example, if you’re a pastor there’s no need to tell people you’re the “senior” pastor unless you’re on the old age pension. Cancel your reserved parking space. Trust me. You’re not that important. You’re the servant of many. And while you’re on the subject of bogus titles, have you noticed that the latest trend is to adopt the title of “Apostle”.  Apparently that entitles you to con other “old aged” pastors to pay you to adopt them as followers. Ah dear! 

Titles like Music Pastor and Youth Director are so enticing. Funny thing is, Toilet Cleaning Administrator, Senior Chair Straightener, Chief Sick People Visitor and Master Poverty Reductionist don’t attract the same level of glory.

Beware Bogus Leadership: There’s a ferocious wolf in all of us just waiting for our moment in the limelight

To infinity and beyond.

Cheers
Colin Pearce
Speaker, Author, Coach

Disclaimer: My views are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment